Friday, February 13, 2009

Question...

O.k., all of you smarties out there that garden I need your expertise. We are ready to tackle this mammoth chore by starting our own veggie garden. Here is where you come into play...
Does anyone have any tips...soil preparation, composting, natural/organic fertilization. I would appreciate any and all tips regarding fruit/vegetable gardening. Thank you!!

6 comments:

Johnson Family said...

So one of my big goals this year is to start a vermipost bin. Basically composting with red worms. You will have to research the needs of a bin in your climate BUT the liquid that you can harvest from such a bin is GOLD for gardens. Comes out pretty concentrated, dilute it with water and voila, instant fertilizer. Almost all of what comes out of your kitchen can go into the bins along with some paper products. As the worms multiply you can sell them or give them to friends with birds. Raised beds would probably work really well in your area. There are quite a few places that you can get good gardening soil from around here and am wondering if you have something similar? Chicken/steer manure is a great way to prep the soil just don't add too much/make the soil to hot. Might already be in the soil if you can get it from a good source. A drip watering system would probably work really well in your hot climate too. That way you can water deep with less evaporation and keep the water off of the leaves. You can get those really cool hanging tomato plant baskets and hang those around your yard or off the porch. If you keep your beds properly spaced, not over watered and free of weeds you should little to no pest problems. I have a book on some organic solutions to that though if you need. Look at me rambling on...

Suz... said...

I LOVE you rambling on...I'm excited to get a garden going...it's something that I've wanted to do for a long time. Thanx for the advice and if you think of more I'd love to hear it! :)

Janet said...

WOW TIFF!! You have great ideas!
Come to ohio & set me up ok!?!?

The only things i would suggest in your climate Suz, is to put things in pots. It would be easier to maintain, just starting out. Just get some clay pots with a water catch basin. & some Miracle Grow potting soil. And to start things NOW before your temps go sky high. Tomatoes like sun. You'll also need some cheap tomato cages for them to grow up on. I would start some herbs as well. Plant marigolds with your tomatoes as well to keep bugs off. Try peppers & cucs, beans & peas could be planted near your yard walls with string to climb on. I would love raised beds myself, but that can get REALLY pricy...the timbers, the black dirt, gravel, peat moss, compost, vermiculite etc.etc. I wanted to try tomato plants indoor this winter...hydroponically...but didnt have the energy!
We'll talk more about it in ELEVEN DAYS!!!

Shana said...

Tiff-hanging tomato baskets? Where do you get those? BTW I am also wanting to start a veggie garden maybe you can come up a weekend and help me set it up!?

Suz... said...

and then come down here to help me get started! :) Actually, mom and I are going to get this thing going w/in a couple weeks...SO EXCITED!!!

Johnson Family said...

Here are a couple of sources for the hanging tomato plants/baskets. https://www.hangingtomato.com/?cid=486384
and this is a really cool do-it-yourself version, http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/posts/1620-How-To-Make-An-Upside-Down-Tomato-Planter, I love that she planted an herb on the top part of the planter. You don't need cages/supports for these either, which is nice.

A fun way to grow cucumbers is like green beans and strung upwards into a trellis, the fruit are off the ground that way and less likely to rot or attract more bugs. If you have big brick/stone walls like in your other home, a structure that leans against the wall (base about 3 feet away and top against the wall), wouldn't take up much space, could be as easy as a couple of boards with quality string running between them, and the stone would create a nice warm greenhouse effect.

I am no master gardener people but hey, I'd be glad to help! I have exciting gardening prospect happening on my end but will keep that to myself until we find out if it works out. =)