I have been meaning to post about our recent venture in homeschooling. First, I have to give props to our curriculum. We have chosen to use Sonlight. It came highly recommended from a number of homeschooling families that we know personally. It certainly has not disappointed. It's really nice having a scheduled plan for each day. It takes the guess work out of the whole process...and for me that is important. Bre is doing great w/ her schooling. We are teaching 4 days a week. And by teaching I mean pulling out the school books. As every parent knows "teaching" is a 7 day-a-week job w/ young minds. I'm very happy w/ our choice to homeschool. Some people have asked us how long we plan on homeschooling. And we don't have an answer for that. Our philosophy is that as long as it works we're going to do it. It fits for us right now and that's what we are focusing on. The hardest part about homeschooling is that it is a quick process w/ only one child to teach. It's amazing how fast we whip through those books! The challenge is what to do w/ the rest of the day. But what one homeschooling mom told me seems to be accurate. The "true" learning and "true" growth happens the rest of the day after the books are put away. We are having fun experimenting along the way. :)
Bre's Kindergarten curriculum:

The rest of the day...
yard work:


crafts:

picnic:

play (I think...at least they are both smiling!):


park:
3 comments:
You are right when you say that teaching is a full time job! The curriculum looks great, have fun teaching that cute little sponge of yours!
Can you home school me too!?! It looks like so much fun! Some of the books look very familiar. I miss when the girls were little & still had books that I could understand! ; )
I'm excited to read about your homeschooling experience. Please keep us posted :)
Cheers,
Kristen
Post a Comment