Saturday, December 20, 2008

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Here it is:
6 Madagascar vanilla beans
6 Mexican vanilla beans
1 (1.75-liter) bottle vodka

Split and scrape vanilla beans. Place scraped beans and seeds in vodka bottle. Screw cap on tightly, and shake bottle vigorously. Place bottle in a cool, dark place. Shake bottle vigorously once a week for at least 3 months. Store for up to 1 year (the vanilla will darken as it ages). Using a funnel, pour vanilla extract, straining if desired, into decorative glass jars. (recipe by Paula Deen)

2 comments:

Janet said...

Vanilla is made with vodka?!! I didnt know that! Ok, where do I find Madagascar & Mexican vanilla beans? Any one for a looonnnngggg road trip!?! ; )
Oh...& cool bottle! Wish I had won! Here's where I pout!

Suz... said...

excellent questions - you could use whiskey, I've been told, but the recipe calls for vodka. If you 'google' madagascar or mexican vanilla beans you could get them shipped right to your door.