Saturday, June 28, 2008

Voice Lessons

Well, I thought I'd share a little something w/ you.

I have refused to sing in public for 27 years. The last time I unashamedly released my singing vocals in public was in the 3rd grade. That is when I tried out for the choir in my elementary school. During the tryouts I sang and sang...but was not one chosen to participate in the elective. Right then and there I decided I wasn't good enough. Never would be good enough. And I would not allow myself to be embarrassed by my singing voice EVER again.

The thing is that I love to sing. Once in Chicago I contacted a singing coach and she instructed me that she would be able to help coach me. I was very excited but cancelled our initial meeting and never rescheduled it.

The first time my husband heard me sing was after Bre was born (6 years into our marriage). I just couldn't let it go. For my baby girl, though, I sang proudly. Call it a nurturing act, I loved to sing to her while she cuddled close and fell asleep in my arms and I didn't care who was around to hear me.

But no one else heard.

Except God. Who has always known I've had the desire to sing out loud and proud.

So...very recently...after church I walked up to a friend in the worship team and said "do you give voice lessons? I have always wanted to sing in the worship team but need to get over my fears of singing in public." She said that she didn't but grabbed me by the arm and lead me to our worship leader, announced to her my thoughts and we set a date for singing lessons.

I have to be honest w/ you...I never really thought I would actually go through w/ it. But, I've been to two lessons. And I am encouraged and blessed more and more. I love it!! And I'm not as bad as I've thought for more than 3/4 of my life! And one day I hope to be singing OUT LOUD, praising God in worship at our church. I'll let you know when that day comes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Su,

I'm so proud of you. Sing loud and proud. Your joy will be contagious!


Stacey

Johnson Family said...

This is awesome Su!! I too am not one to belt it out in public so I'm very proud of you for taking that step!